Current location: Hot Scripts Forums » General Community » New Members & Introductions » YAHP (Yet Another Hello Post)

YAHP (Yet Another Hello Post)

Old
Newbie Coder

YAHP (Yet Another Hello Post)

I'm not new, but I dont think I posted a hello I'm new here post 8 years ago... Better late than never...

Hello all!
sonia59 (05-12-12)
Old
Coding Addict

Nice to meet you and welcome back to the forums! Good to see old faces
Old
Newbie Coder

Thanks for the welcome back...

Are you saying my face looks old???
Old
Coding Addict

I didn't actually mean for it to sound like that, Sorry However, It seems I joined a year later than you? So were pretty close

Any projects on the horizon for you? What brings you back to HotScripts.com if you don't mind me asking
Old
Newbie Coder

I didnt take it like that.

I have a few projects... I was looking to make a couple posts about PHP my 2 main sites. One being a weather site and the other being a RPG site. Also, I do have a script listed here "PHPNuke RPG Races Module" RPG Races Module | HotScripts PHP-Nuke Addons which is not reflected to what I'm using now on my rpg site.
Old
Coding Addict

I`m very interested in all things RPG / Game related. Feel free to elaborate more on your projects. Is the "2 The Xtreme" one of them?
Old
Newbie Coder

Sure... Only because you asked...

The weather site is my "primary" site where I at least take a proactive approach and fix it if something happens. Most of the weather data that is on it comes from my Vantage Pro 2 weather station. The forecast and radar maps, earthquake & tropics feeds are not mine. The content management system its presently running was coded by me originally for a fishing tournament which utilized my own simple sql & template system as well as a compatibility layer to allow it to work with the phpbb2 template and database systems. Which funny enough, I still primarily use the phpbb sql & template engine instead of my own. The original system has user registrations and all that crap but was very specialized for a fishing tournament. The script was a quick weekend warrior script to use as a proof of concept. First Coast Offshore Rodeo : Index (no longer in development) it has a mostly completed admin section and such...

Yes, 2 The Xtreme is my rpg site which has actually been around for at least a decade and the first campaign was run in 2002. The RPG module & "Rogue Admin" module on the site are entirely my system. Rogue Admin stops zero-day SQL & XSS injections, logs the attack and allows users to leave comments so the "hackers" see the message upon the next visit. However, I have it running in "silent mode" now that registrations are strictly regulated. It was also pretty good at stopping forum spam too. Rogue Admin also serves as a backdoor if for some reason I lose admin access to "2 The Xtreme". Using the backdoor it wipes the admin tables and reloads a backup (which if the checksum of the backup doesn't match) it runs through various procedures but if all else fails, it will still allow me to admin the site using a built-in admin account which overrides phpnuke's admin. RA makes full use of PHP's regex functions for its rulesets which can be a pain if you mess up on them. I've actually gotten more fanmail and hatemail for my RA hacker page than any other feature. The whole system was fun to code.

Now for the gaming stuff...
The whole RPG module actually started off from the phpnuke module I have listed here, but I needed something more advanced that’s has my game in mind and not generic. The scripts were built and setup to help me with my game which is pen and paper based freeform system. The characters, races, magic & space scripts are “mostly done” but they do get revised as I add additional routines to the other scripts and the overall system. However, I still have to enter the data. The system is still configured to run in development mode so there’s a lot of extra stuff on the page. So, in short here is what the system can do now...

Maintain character data (135 database fields total). Magic, skills, personality, children & inventory are tracked by their respective scripts. Body Mass Index capability and measurement guessing (which I found to be fairly accurate or pretty close with about 50 test subjects online using cheap calculations).

Child generator with real-world mortality rates by default (my first ever php script was a child generator with a very morbid mortality rate...). Along with various “codes” to tweak the behavior of the script. The code is in place to allow it to alter mortality based on race compatibility, depending where the child is born, race of the mother and father (half breeds vary depending on which race the mother is). The interface has not been implemented yet until the space script & location script is completed. Using an additional code, allows all the resulting children to be automatically entered into the database. Code is also present to assign skills, disabilities and/or abilities and magic but it is not fully implemented until spellbooks, skills and the magic system is complete. It also determines gender (male, female, hermaphrodite, parthenogenic or N/A and suggests a name. The Human runtime procedure uses real world probabilities based on the USA’s numbers. The name suggestions are not race based yet. The process the whole script runs under is so brutally simple though...

Create printable character sheets for characters tagged as “completed”.

BBCode style tags to reference anything in the database in any script. You can mention other characters and link to their page, magic, locations in space, etc)

There is a bit more the system does itself, but all of it ultimately optional and can be edited anytime.

The hard part is mapping the universe, creating all the pictures for all the races characters and planets, doing the data entry, writing and rewriting content, programming debugging and adjusting code and working.

Theres also a character bank tied to the user's account that allows them to spend money in the store so they can add those items to their inventory. This isn't completed as well, but the framework is there

If there’s anything else you’re curious about, feel free to ask.

The link to the locations if anyone is curious
http://2thextreme.mgcjerry.net/modules.php?name=RPG
Old
Coding Addict

Hey Jerry, Sorry for the delayed reply.

Thanks for sharing more information about your projects! It certainly seems you've worked very hard in creating both applications. Am particularly interested in your RPG. Do you have any plans to monetise your projects?
Old
Newbie Coder

Nope, I don't have any plans to monetize my projects. However, I wont rule that out on my weather site but I haven't received any solicitations yet.
Old

Hello, I am new to the forum.