This post describes how you can use Google Analytics to track the number of traffic you receive from your HotScripts listings as well as the conversation rate of this traffic to sales.
- Ensure that you have Google Analytics properly installed and configured for your web site. If you do not have an account, you can create a free account by signing up here.
- Next, define your landing and conversion page. Your landing page will be the URL of the site you’ve defined in the ‘Site’ field for your listing. The conversion page will be the page that shows up right after someone completes an action. In many cases, it will be a ‘thank you page’ that someone gets after completing a successful transaction on your site.
Step 1 – Tracking Referral Traffic
The first thing is to tag or code the click-through URL that points to your landing page. Your current landing page might look something like this:
Google Analytics allows you to analyze and track custom campaigns using a few variables and values:
utm_source: Identify the referral source (e.g HotScripts)
utm_medium: Advertising medium (e.g sponsored, premium, banner, newsletter)
utm_campaign: Campaign Name (e.g name of your script or listing)
After defining your values, your tagged URL will look something like this:
If you do not want to manually tag your URLs, you can use Google’s URL Builder to do that. Once you’re done, save the URL and copy and paste it in your listing’s ‘Site URL’ field by editing your listing in your ‘My Listings’ section.
Step 2 – Setting up your Goals
It is more relevant to track your referrals against a set of goals. A goal as described above is a desired action like a successful transaction, a trial script download or an email signup. In this example we’ll assume that the goal to be monitored is the number of orders you generate and we’ll be tracking the ‘thank you page’ that the visitors receives after completing an order. Here are the steps to setup a goal in Google Analytics.
- Login your Google Analytics account and click on the on the Account Name to which your site profile belongs to.
- Next to your site, under the ‘Actions’ column, click on the ‘Edit’ link.
- In the Goals section click on ‘Add goal’
- Enter a name for your goal, e.g ‘Script Ordered’. Set the Goal Type as ‘URL Destination’.
- Select ‘Head Match’ for the ‘Match Type’ and enter the URL of your site. If your thank you page is at http://www.scriptstore.com/php/thanks.php, simply enter /thanks.php
- You can define a Goal Value for this goal. For example if each time you sell a script you make a profit of $99 dollars, you can enter 99 as the ‘Goal Value’.
- As an optional step, you can setup Goal Funnels if you’d like to track the different pages the user has to follow until the thank you page. (e.g billing page, checkout page).
- Once you’re done, click on the ‘Save Goal’ button.
Viewing your campaign referral traffic
Each time someone clicks on the ‘Visit Publisher Site’ button for your listing and goes to your landing page, Google Analytics will record this referral and record the results in your Traffic Sources -> Campaigns section in your Google Analytics account. This will look something similar to the screenshot below:
You can click on a particular Campaign Name to drill down into details like your bounce rate for your landing page, time spent on site by the visitor, etc.
If you have goal tracking enabled, you will be able to cross-reference each campaign against the number of goals converted. This metrics will give you an idea as to how many referrals from your listing is converting into sales.
Please note that Google Analytics might take up to a few hours to record and display your referral traffic and goal conversion statistics.
For more information about campaign and goal tracking, you can visit the Google Analytics Help Center.